Thursday, March 26

March of the Penguin

so, I've been running a little file/print server in my basement on Ubuntu Linux for about a year or so now.  It's been quite stable and virus free, though recently it started becoming flaky and non functional for some of the basic purposes I wanted from it.  Part of it was hardware getting old and failing...  Anyways, I decided to upgrade my storage and rebuild the thing last week and I installed the latest release of Ubuntu, 100% pain free.  It found all the drivers, and didn't bother me, like a windows install does, periodically to click next.  

Then I try to get the file shares going, no problem... next, print sharing.  Trouble.  It wasn't as easy as I remember and I start mucking around with settings and editing config files... typical old school linux crap.  Not only could I not print, but my file shares stopped too...  Running out of usable time, I did what I thought I would never do...  I went back to good ol' windows.  

More painul install, trying to find current drivers, doing 4 or 5 batches of updates etc... I can now print and access my files with reasonable ease.  I think the main difference was that I switched from win 2000 server which was quite clunky and beligerent sometimes.  Now I've gone to XP pro, not exactly server class, but a little smoother.  Maybe Bill Gates likes mullets.

No comments: